Welcome to the
Wilmington Children's Chorus
SUMMER DAY CAMP
Exceptional & Diverse
The Wilmington Children's Chorus is an exceptional and diverse children's choir for the Greater Wilmington Community of Delaware.
The mission of The Wilmington Children's Chorus (WCC) is to nurture and develop an exceptional Children's Choir for the Greater Wilmington area, and to share a love and desire to excel in choral singing, performance and musical knowledge.
We are committed to providing free and open access to all interested children, regardless of their financial, social or ethnic background.
The WCC faculty are respected professionals with a wealth of experience in music education, voice pedagogy and performance. WCC interns assist the staff by providing mentoring to younger choristers while gaining valuable leadership and education experience.
As "The Singing Ambassadors of Wilmington," the organization has shared its music, principles and accomplishments with tens of thousands of people throughout the mid-Atlantic region.
- The choir is sponsored by the City of Wilmington as a project of Cityfest, Inc. and The Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs for the City of Wilmington, and is supported by grants from the Delaware Division of the Arts and other civic, private, and corporate sponsors.
- WCC is comprised of over 120 male and female singers, ranging in age from 8 to 18.
- The WCC curriculum emphasizes music literacy and beautiful singing as well as building life skills such as honoring commitment, teamwork and individual achievement.
- WCC has collaborated with major performing arts organizations, including the Delaware Symphony Orchestra, Delaware Valley Chorale, the Philadelphia Arab Music Ensemble with Marcel Khalife and Rima Khcheich, Hyde Park Neighborhood Chorus of the the Chicago Children's Choir, American composer Robert Powell, and renowned Arabic music artist Simon Shaheen and the Youth Chamber Orchestra of Fulda, Germany.
- WCC appearances have included Holst's The Planets, Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker, Handel's Judas Maccabeus, Orff's Carmina Burana.
- WCC has performanced at Barack Obama's campaign rally in Rodney Square, the reopening of the Wilmington Train Station with Vice President Joe Biden, The Clifford Brown Jazz Festival, Fox 29 Philadelphia, Longwood Gardens, the 400th Anniversary of the Founding of the Colongy of Jamestown, Williamsburg, VA, and benefits for community causes such as DFRC, Habitat for Humanity, Pacem in Terris and the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition.
- WCC was founded in 2002 by artistic director David Christopher with support from the Episcopal Church of Saints Andrew and Matthew.
- March 22, 2013 article in the News Journal.
- Letter by Vilma Lopez in the News Journal.
Above: The Select Choir at the Candlelight Concert. Click here to see more photos of the Chorus. Above photo by Bob Hanes.
Video: Welcome to Fulda, Germany
Magazine article: Out & About Magazine, September, 2011
David Christopher, Founding Artistic Director
Kimberly Doucette, Artistic Director
Philip Doucette, Manager of Operations & Associate Director